Sunday 4 May 2014

Dingy Skipper a Couple of Miles from Nottingham City Centre.

It's been a long time since I've added a new butterfly to my Nottinghamshire list, that is until yesterday and again today when I spent time helping my son and a colleague of his do their first ecological survey of the old Gedling Colliery slag heap before it becomes the boroughs newest country park.  Usual stuff,  bit of sweeping, bit of beating and a bit of grubbing put a good few beetles and bugs on the list, but the highlight was Dingy Skipper.   I'm aware that they frequent another pit top, in the north of the county in Warsop but these are the first I have seen near to Nottingham. They must be a reasonably recent arrival as I have been walking on the site for since a young lad back in the early 1980's.  Stunning little butterfly, to say a little brown job would not do it justice, and to call it Dingy.  Perhaps the word has another meaning I am unaware of. 


Dingy skipper Gedling Colliery spoil heap 4th May 2014.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment